Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Chill of Autumn Air

One of my favorite things about living in Upstate, NY is the cool crisp Autumn season. The leaves changing, the air getting colder, sweaters getting unpacked, & the rising feeling of good naturedness that comes with the impending holiday season to follow. The weather here sets the tone for the season though. Most people hate the change of season, because it does come rather drastically here. One day it's 80 & we're in shorts, the next it's 50 & we're layering on turtle necks & jackets. Once that drop in temperature hits though, you know it's officially fall in NY. Soon after that, the leaves change & begin to fall. That's the best part of living near the catskill mountains. You can see the changing leaves. The gorgeous hillsides dotted with gold, orange, red, crimson, & bronze. It's gorgeous to see. Breath taking when you go to the higher elevation points & can look at the sights unobstructed. The fall season just makes me happy inside.

So, for all the reasons above, you would understand why today when I woke up & saw SNOW falling, I was a bit saddened. Don't get me wrong, I love snow at Christmas time. I however, do NOT enjoy snow in the middle of my enjoying of the fall season. Once the snow falls & the very chilly below freezing winds of the north begin to blow, all the leaves fall off the trees & the hills become baren & sad. Especially when the snow is like it has been recently; mixed with rain. So the trees aren't even glazed with the cute trimmings of residual snowfall, which makes them festive during the winter season. It just strips them of their foliage & leaves them naked & cold.

Therefore, today was a little depressing for me. A sudden interruption in my enjoyment of the fall season. A quick preview of the winter to come (which seems to look like it may be a repeat of '93, if anyone from this area remembers that winter). A bit depressing in the time of year when I am usually perky & excited.

Oh well... Halloween is just a few days away. Atleast seeing my daughter & the other children of town dressed up in their cute little costumes will help with my "snow in the middle of fall" blues.

No comments: